Saturday 15 December 2007

Boo Saville


Interview with Boo Saville.


Matthew Stone: What do you have faith in?

BS: Magic, pleasure, positivity, gravity and instinct.

MS: If you could say one sentence to future generations, what would it be?

BS: Don't let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

MS: Do you hope to be remembered and what for?

BS: I would like to be remembered for my paintings, but I'll probably be remembered for being Jenny's sister.

Steph Raynor: Are we anywhere near where we need to be?

BS: Don't know how to answer that. Probably not. Maybe.

Todd Hart: What's the best example of Art really changing the world for the better?

BS: I couldn't think of just one so....

Fra Angelico - 'Annunciation' 1450
Picasso - 'Guernica' 1937
Joseph Beuys - ''7000 oaks' 1982
Damien Hirst - 'The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living' 1992
Olafur Eliasson - 'The Weather Project' 2003


MS: What question should be added to this list?

BS: What do you think happens when we die?


7 comments:

dalston shopper said...

Great responses Boo. I probably agree the most with your first one. But I guess what I hoped to extract from my question is an illustration of how you think art has changed the world, and give an example. I might agree the weather project, for example, was a powerful piece of art, but how did it change the world? That's a genuine issue for me. I couldn't say for example that my first night clubbing in the east village in NY changed the world though it had a powerful emotional effect on me, or the first time I saw a kenyan runner win an international marathon, though it had a powerful effect on me. So what is the real change coming from the art events you mention, or is it just a powerful personal effect?

dalston shopper said...

From Wikipedia . . . "Hirst's response to those who said that anyone could have done this artwork was, "But you didn't, did you?".

I love the line but it still makes me ask "Is being first what it's all about?"

Matthew Stone said...

Anything that effects someone on a personal level, whether powerful or not can inspire changes in the way they act in the "real" world.

dalston shopper said...

"anything" can't be the answer because the essence of most of our lives is an attempt to differentiate and make special - so it has to be something more than just "anything" surely?

Matthew Stone said...

I feel that art lies in the "attempt to differentiate and make special".

Unknown said...

being first is what it's about on a superficial level, you get praise and you get to "inspire" more things in the same vein (because people will copy you). but in the grand scheme of things being an artist is not about being first. i have no idea what being an artist is really about.
today, fountain's the most influential piece of art in the art world. in the real world maybe it's mickey mouse.

GEMSVSSMEG said...

I Love Boo.